3.01.2006

Mojo No Go

Since the end of the LAPC I've played online tournaments. Not a lot of 'em - poker and I have been taking a little time apart - but enough to convince me that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Whatever mojo I had, it left me. I couldn't get action when I had a hand unless I was beat, couldn't bluff to save my life, couldn't push someone off a weaker hand in time to stop them sucking out on me. Earlier tonight I lost one huge pot (and effectively any shot at cashing) when I was better than a 96% favorite on the flop. Which is the sort of thing that makes one a little gunshy. Thankfully, all this has made me realize that nobody else has any idea what they're doing either. The "better" you get at playing lower buyin online tournaments, the more you come to understand that the first half is an very densely packed minefield; all you can hope for is to get cards that'll let you get your money in at 3 to 1 or better. (Maybe less true of "deep stack" tourneys, but I haven't had time for those.) The price of this revelation, until tonight, was a big fat zero. That'd be return on investment of exactly nil. Nada. Half a dozen token SNGs on Full Tilt? Zero tokens. $50K worth of Guaranteed tournaments? I had a guaranteed nothing. I was about ready to declare myself incapable of playing online tournaments. Then I landed 4th in tonight's night-owl $8K Guaranteed, which explains exactly why I'm up so goddamn late. Pretty confident I could have brought home the gold but for a seemingly inexplicable play (opponent's, not mine) when we were five-handed. I was dominant before the flop (when the majority of the money went in) and had eleven outs twice on the flop for a no-brainer call, so I can't even lay it at the feet of the bad beat bugbear. I managed to get the remainder of my money in drawing substantially slimmer a couple orbits later. Like it says on the tombstones of three-eighths of the world's deceased poker players: I had two live cards.

5 Comments:

Blogger Drizztdj said...

My problem is once I make it into the money I have no idea what to do next since its such a rare occurrance.

Grats on the final table!

3/01/2006 05:57:00 AM  
Blogger StudioGlyphic said...

Nice job.

So have you abandoned cash games altogether?

3/01/2006 09:06:00 AM  
Blogger April said...

Congrats!!!

3/01/2006 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger hdouble said...

For someone who is such a good people reader, I'd think your edge is seriously diminished in the online world. However, I'm sure given time, you'll be able to adjust to the online donkeys...

3/01/2006 11:37:00 PM  
Blogger Randy G said...

Oh my gosh......HDouble lives in the comments section. I keep checking your page (I think I've checked it everyday since November) and I've seen one update, so whenever your ready: hook us up with the dope. Oh and Absynthe good job and give me some MTT mojo please.

3/02/2006 12:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home