2.21.2006

After Math And Post Facto Draws

I'm ready to call my run at the LAPC a qualified success. Winning 300 buyins in a tourney to start doesn't hurt. I was running fairly well for the remainder of the tournaments as well, though the satellites and the main event ate into my bottom line. The last couple weeks weren't great, and were mostly a lesson in how lucky you need to get to make a big cash, which is hard to absorb when your first big tournament goes so smashingly. But in the span of a month I did a staggering number of things I've never done before. I've played with some pros without curling into a fetal ball, even bluffed them out of pots I needed to win. Played higher limits than I ever have (the difference really IS just the bet size). I've been in a set-over-set-over-set hand. I've walked into a bank with a laptop case lined with a few bricks of cold, hard cash and subsequently freaked out the personal banker; I think her read on me went from "nice young man" to "probable drug kingpin" in the span of two words. I've called bets that, whatever their chip consequences, were essentially for $10K and $20K, and been right both times. I've heard my wife shout "It's not gambling!" at my mother, in response to my mother's probing question about my presumptive "gambling problem". All that said, I'm craving familiarity now. I left Commerce tonight earlier than I'd planned, because I realized I'd rather get home to my wife than spend another second in an increasingly weird limit game. I have a much healthier bankroll now, and I plan to use it, but I'm not hitting the tournament circuit anytime soon (and I don't have the bankroll for it anyway). I looked over the schedule and structures for the WSOP and couldn't get excited about them - the LAPC events had a better blind structure, more starting chips, and similar level times. So after a month of living, breathing and dreaming poker, I have no idea what the "next step" is. I've got several unpokerish projects that have languished overlong, a trip to SXSW in March, and a need to decompress my head. Also I think I'm getting a cold. I've never been good at making a long story short, but longtime readers already knew that. Do keep watching this space, but don't expect a whole lot from it in the near future. I have a life to reconstruct, a wife and three cats who've missed me, and an appointment at the DMV. It's all about the priorities; suddenly I have more options than usual and I'm going to need a little time to explore them.

11 Comments:

Blogger TenMile said...

I was afraid that you would not wake from the dream. Very happy to read this post.

2/21/2006 06:04:00 AM  
Blogger peacecorn said...

I've sincerely enjoyed following along on your LAPC ride. Well played and well written.

2/21/2006 06:38:00 AM  
Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Dude,

You didn't make a point about your new NANO...that's kind of like a family friend now that should always be mentioned, brother man. I got some Rza blasting in mine now...my boss thinks I'm nuts.

2/21/2006 07:17:00 AM  
Blogger Garthmeister J. said...

Ryan,

I also wanted to say that your coverage of your own journey through the LAPC was fantastic. Just awesome to ride along with you as you did things we all hope to do some day.

2/21/2006 07:30:00 AM  
Blogger TripJax said...

We'll be here when you get back and are ready to post again...

2/21/2006 07:39:00 AM  
Blogger Donkeypuncher said...

Congrats on the great run, and thanks for keeping us all updated.

The refresh key on my laptop also thanks you!

2/21/2006 08:11:00 AM  
Blogger Drizztdj said...

Awesome run Ryan, here's to hoping you continue it.

2/21/2006 11:30:00 AM  
Blogger High Plains Drifter said...

another 'me too' comment... I thought your writeups and running commentary were great!

2/21/2006 05:05:00 PM  
Blogger StatikKling said...

I can't say it any better than anyone else here, so I'll say 'Yeah, what they said!' Congrats!

2/22/2006 03:56:00 PM  
Blogger JasonSpaceman said...

It was a true pleasure to kibitz strategy with you on smoke breaks, and I enjoyed including you in my Notable Chip Counts at Bluff. If there's one thing I've learned covering these events, it's that Tournaments Aren't Easy. Congrats to you on doing well despite that.

Now go get some rest and enjoy your time with your wife and animals!

2/23/2006 04:19:00 PM  
Blogger kurokitty said...

An awesome run. Congrats!

2/24/2006 01:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home