11.17.2005

Utils Versus Cash

Hypothetical situation: Let's say you have a backer with pretty deep resources. Said backer is willing to bankroll you for LHE at the limit of your choosing. You're expected to play to the best of your ability, win or lose. But there is a small catch: instead of receiving a portion of your winnings, you get a flat rate of .5BB/hr. You can only play one table at a time. What's the absolute minimum limit at which you'd consider taking the deal? And would you rather play it online or live? I have a reason for asking this question, but I'm not absolutely sure what it is yet. That's where y'all come in.

2 Comments:

Blogger BSN said...

To make it worth my while, I'd have to play at a high enough limit to compensate me for my opportunity cost. That's different for everyone, obviously, both in terms of time away from steady employment and time away from family.

For me to do something like this in lieu of a job, I would have to be playing 75/150. I'll never be a profitable player at that level, however. If it were a second job I was doing that didn't impact my family too much, perhaps 40/80. .5BB/hr just isn't enough to justify playing at the lower levels where I might stand a chance.

YMMV.

BSN

11/17/2005 05:09:00 PM  
Blogger StudioGlyphic said...

The calculation is something like this:

What limit am I bankrolled for?

What's the next one up?

Times two.

Round up to the next limit.

Since it's .5BB/hr either way, I'll choose live play.

11/18/2005 09:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home