11.29.2005

Taking One For The Junk

I didn't get much play in over the long Thanksgiving weekend, so I was looking forward to getting back to the game with fresh eyes and renewed enthusiasm. Unfortunately it seems everybody else was too. I played for about half an hour and caught a staggering number of second-best hands, a run that momentarily made me reconsider my "no big laydowns" policy. It was a greatest hits collection of lousy beats and nigh-unavoidable losses, featuring notable songs like: Sorry, Sir, Your TPTK Is No Good Against My Overpair My Set Is Bigger Than Your Set The Rivered Straight Against The Rivered Flush In A Heads-Up Unraised Pot (Ain't That A Shame) Baby, You Know Your Overpair Can't Beat My Bottom Two My Ducks Cracked Your Kings (Quack Quack, Motherfucker) The Top And Middle Pair Vs. Top Two Blues When Top Two Pair Met Runner-Runner Flush Too Bad Your Top Two Got Counterfeited On The River (But You Almost Had Me) and, of course, the speed metal anthem My Non-Nut Gutshot Draw Crushes Your Two Pair Forget -BB/hr; this was a session in which losses could reasonably be expressed in big bets per minute. I choose to look at it as paying dues for Vegas.

3 Comments:

Blogger change100 said...

What is it with holiday weekends and junk-kicking? Seems like a lot of us had that kind of Thanksgiving.

11/30/2005 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger Absinthe said...

Two pair is my albatross. Strong enough to play, weak enough that you have to play it fast, never the nuts.

11/30/2005 02:04:00 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

I hear ya - you've got quite a nice spin on it with "paying dues for Vegas." I was afraid my blues were more like "wasting all of my Vegas money here in Shitty Chicago." May I borrow your outlook on the junk abuse?? :)

11/30/2005 08:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home