3.22.2005

Welcome Back To The Party, Bitch

So I spent ten days in Austin for SXSW, drinking more beer than I have since... well, since the last time I was there. I managed to see about a dozen movies and a couple dozen bands, ate some damn fine barbecue, and only insulted the life's work of a network executive just the once, so on the whole I judge the proceedings to be eminently successful. I came back and realized there was a Party reload bonus. Score! Then I realized I'd have to play 1400 raked hands in seven days to claim it, but no big, I can manage that. Then I remembered I have to go out of town again this weekend, meaning I have more like four days to clear the bonus. Whoops. It's been a brutal return, too; the flush-fishing fish are out in full force and they've taken a few nibbles out of my stack. I've had some absolutely horrid sessions. When reviewing my sessions in PokerTracker, though, I'm comforted to see that my biggest losses have come without exception to outdraws by weaker hands (or, in one case, a guy who flopped a straight with a two-gapper vs. my top set). If you want to know how my game has been going, well, just see below. Here's a little lesson on how to lose the minimum when you flop top full house: Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Ah, Ad.
1 fold, Hero raises, MP1 calls, 2 folds, CO 3-bets, Button calls, 1 fold, BB calls, Hero caps, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Flop: (20.50 SB) 8s, Ac, 8h (5 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, CO bets, Button calls, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (12.75 BB) 6c (5 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

River: (12.75 BB) 6s (5 players)
BB bets, Hero calls, MP1 folds, CO calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 15.75 BB

Results in black below:
BB has 6h 6d (four of a kind, sixes).
Hero has Ah Ad (full house, aces full of eights).
CO has Jd Jc (two pair, jacks and eights).
Outcome: BB wins 15.75 BB.
Criticisms of how I played are welcome; possibly aggression on the flop drives out the eventual winner, but given the size of the pot, he's pretty near correct to call one bet on the flop and hope to catch his two-outer, and once he turns the set he's not going anywhere. I'd planned to checkraise the turn but nobody bet; when the BB woke up on the river I just called because I figured going for overcalls or a chance to reraise would get the most money in the pot. Also my spider-sense was tingling just a bit; something about the river screamed "bad beat in progress". 700 raked hands to go.

1 Comments:

Blogger StudioGlyphic said...

Well... there's the chance that a check-raise from you might lead to a 3-bet by the CO, which might scare the bejeezus out of the BB.

Then again, no one can truly fault you for slowplaying the nut full house.

3/23/2005 01:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home